Adsense

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Q&A: I was wondering (from an atheist perspective)?

Question by Mr. Popingo is A-T & G-C: I was wondering (from an atheist perspective)?
I've always heard talk of ghosts from Christians or, more correctly, members of a predominantly Christian society (for example: America and most European countries). But I haven't heard much about ghosts from, say, people of the Jewish or Muslim background. It just seems a bit strange to me that Jews don't believe in ghosts, then Christians come along and cater to the idea of ghosts, and after that the Muslims come along and there don't believe in ghosts (as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong). Some asian countries believe in demonic spirits and such, but not so much the idea of regular "hauntings" that Christian society tends to invest in. Where did this idea come from? Is this a Christian idea extending from 'restless spirit' trinity syndrome? I know not all Christians are quite so literal about their bible as with all religious people, but am I the only one that has noticed this? I want opinions about this from Christians, atheists, and people from any other religious affiliation. I don't mean to offend anyone, I just am curious. Thanks for your time.
I don't think I made myself clear. With the influx of modern Christian *societies*, including those of wiccan and liberal theist faiths, I have noticed the abundance of ghost stories. Just turn on your television and watch Ghost Hunters or go to any city in the South. Everything is riddled with so-called "hauntings". I just noticed a pattern, that's all. You don't see ghost stories infiltrating Tel Aviv or Mecca, do you? I know *devout* Christians only believe in the Holy spirit, but I have met many liberal Christians in my own personal life that soak up these stories of haunted plantations and things that go bump in the night... So my question again- Has anyone else noticed this?
Where is your proof, zaaga? You can't just say I'm misinformed because YOU believe I am. Prove to me that "jinns" exist, and then we can have a reasonable discussion about them.
As for everyone else that answered: Thank you. I appriciate some of you trying to answer my question even though I get the distinct feeling that nobody even understands what I am trying to ask. Thanks anyway though, I will try another time and make myself a bit more clear if I can word it right.


Please leave your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment